After she came up to me and said, “I’ve been with my partner for 20 years… We would never get married because he’s on social security income, and because my daughter is disabled I have secondary income from the state to support my daughter. If I got married, both my benefits and his benefits would be reduced because we would become a double income family.”
She was explaining that marriage doesn’t work for poor people, and that it doesn’t work for disabled people. Having really simple examples like hers are important.
A relative of mine is learning this lesson now :c
Capitalism is the reason a country has billionaires and millionaires but also tons of people dying in the streets that nobody bothers to help.
Capitalism is the fact that there are more vacant houses in the US than there are homeless people, because people have to “earn” a place to live safely.
lower-income people tend to be “hoarders” and richer people are able to do more “minimalist” living spaces. if u don’t have much, you will hold onto any little thing that comes across your way. you got a new tv, but you still keep the old tv because you know things can break. you keep extra boxes of macaroni and cheese lying around because there will be a week when you don’t have money for groceries. you hold onto your stacks of books and clothes for dear life. those are your assets. physical evidence of where your money’s gone. it’s hard to get rid of it. the bare wall is terrifying when you don’t have much.
forever reblogging this because it is so so so true and this post was actually rly an a-ha, revelation kind of moment for me.
Simple ways to save money!
- Stop buying gigantic expensive coffee three times a day. I know it seems so hard to deal with but maybe try brewing your own coffee at home? Or at least getting your servants to do it.
- Save on your electricity bill by replacing all your light bulbs with energy efficient ones. You have the standing cash to do that right?
- Stop buying at whole foods and other specialty grocers. You can still get organic free range gmo free at the regular grocery stores for like, slightly less! And if you bring it home in your reusable bags your neighbors will never know you cheaped out!
- Stop paying ridiculous bills at restaurants every night of the week. Either try to eat at home now and then or take advantage of any little fuck up that happens in the dining room to loudly demand compensation for your ruined evening!
- Did you know there’s this place called a library? Where you can get books for free? I mean, you have to bring them back eventually but they also have DVD’s and CD’s there. Get all your media you can’t torrent from the library and enjoy being so cleverly frugal!
Oh…oh wait you’re actually poor? You need realistic advice for living day to day and not just saving a few cents here and there to go towards you European vacation? Oh my well, here’s a list for you then!
- Stop being poor????
Hope this advice made you click through based on the title in a moment of desperate hope and got the site plenty of ad revenue good luck!!